Earth day 2017 is this Saturday, April 22nd. People all around the world celebrate Earth day; ranging from simple acts such as abstaining from the use of electricity or collecting litter, to larger acts like hosting public events to express support for our environment and it’s protection. Our earth is home to many living things and needs our attention and love.
In addition to sharing a FREE Earth Day inspired easy flower headband crochet pattern, you will also find a list below the pattern of things YOU can do to help protect our earth.
FREE Easy Flower Headband Crochet Pattern
©2017 With a Shari on Top
Materials required for this project:
*Size 4 worsted weight yarn (I used Red Heart in Spring Green for the band and leaves, and Red Heart Lemon for the flower).
*US Size G hook
* Darning Needle
Single crochet – sc
Double crochet- dc
Slip Stitch- ss
Chain – ch
Using spring green, pull a tail of at least 12 inches and then chain 70, finish off making sure to leave a long tail at the end to match your beginning tail.
Leaves (Make 3)
Using spring green, ch 6
Row 1. sc in 2nd ch from hook, hdc, dc, hdc, sc, (you should be at the end of your chain) ch 1, continuing around to the other side of your chain, sc, hdc, dc, hdc, sc, (you should be at the end of your work), ss into the first st on the other side, ch 2 to create a stem and finish off.
Sew your leaves together as shown in photo.
Flower (worked in the round)
Using lemon, ch 2
Row 1. 6 sc in 2nd ch from hook and pull beginning strand tight to close center hole (6)
Row 2. ss in 1st st, ch 2, dc in same st, ss in next st, ch 2, dc in same st, ss in next, repeat around until you have completed 5 petals, ss in last st, finish off.
Sew your flower onto your leaves as shown in the photo. Now, sew your flower and leaves to your band. Because your band is very thin you have to make sure you sew both the flower portion AND the leaves portion to your band to keep it from flopping around. Trim your end tails if needed or let them hang long like we do!
I hope this pattern was easy for you to follow.
Now onto our Earth Day list!
I vow to pick at least 3 things from this list to focus on every day. How many will you choose?
- Give up plastic water bottles, think reusable instead!
- Shorten shower times, turn the water off while brushing, limit water use in your home.
- Use less electricity; think about cutting screen time, limiting heat or A/C use, using natural light as opposed to electricity, etc.
- Walk or bike more, start your car less!
- Recycle as much as possible (you can even think of ways to UPCYCLE things around your home- family craft time)!
- Start your own compost.
- Pick up litter whenever you can.
- Make sure your refrigerator isn’t standing in sunlight (it will be forced to run more often) and if you’re using a freezer anywhere other than in your home, make sure it’s in the shade.
- Introduce some houseplants into your home.
- Choose to purchase recycled products whenever possible.
- Fix any leaks around your home, less water waste!
- Hang clothes to dry when possible.
- Use home made pesticides as opposed to store bought chemical pesticides.
- Ditch the plastic utensils and paper plates.
- Start your own garden.
- Bring reusable bags when shopping.
- Go paperless with bills whenever possible.
- Plant a tree
- Buy local
Happy Earth Day! Leave me a comment below and let me know how you’ll be working to protect our planet this year. Thank you for stopping by!